Tuesday, January 02, 2007

It makes a start...

Yes, I'm back. One of the things I plan to do this year is work on my poker game. To do that right, I have to review what happened over the past year. A quick glance at my poker records (thank goodness I've kept them) for 2006 tells me this:

I actually had a positive year in Limit Hold Em games, although my profit won't even buy me a Happy Meal.

I was way behind in No Limit ring games; those are my weakest spot.

I lost money overall in tournaments, almost all of which were NLHE. However, if you count the value of the iPod that I won in the PokerStars blogger tourney, I came out well into the black.

I played in 92 on line tournaments last year. I finished first five times; second, six times; third, four times. I cashed in 25 of the 92 tournaments I entered.

Of the notes that I made about how the games went, a lot were about being card dead, but a bunch of others, especially in the second half of the year, were about me playing like a donkey.

I know I have leaks in my game. I have already started re-reading Lee Jones's Winning Low Limit Hold Em, and the Harrington books. My plan is to get back on the micro-stakes Limit tables on PokerStars and work on my skills while trying to (very slowly) build my bankroll back up. I will probably play in some micro tourneys, and any freerolls that are available, to sharpen my tournament game. I'm not sure if I will make the effort to play any live cash games or not. I will continue to play in the free Amateur Poker League games when my schedule permits.

I will be playing poker, and I will be blogging about it, however often I can. Maybe writing about it will keep me going, and inspire me to work harder on improving my play. That's one resolution that I expect most of us can agree on, eh?

No comments: